skip to content

home about CACN about crich parish council search

crich area community news

Crich village cross
Image from around Crich Parish

Minutes of the meeting of Crich Parish Council

Monday 3rd March 2008, held in the Glebe Field Centre.

Download minutes as a pdf document

Link to adobe site to download free pdf file reader

Present:

Cllr Lane (Chair), Cllrs. Bateman, Clark, Harrison, Harwood, Fudge, Smith, Steppings, Tromans. Cty Cllr. Jackson and 6 members of the public. Clerk in attendance.

Apologies:

AVBC Cllr.Taylor, Cllrs. Birkin, Brierton and Thorpe.

08/190 Matters raised by members of the public

Mr. Goodhead enquired as to why some donations had been reduced in the current round. He was particularly concerned about a reduction in the donation to Crich Luncheon Club with which he and his wife are connected. Chair agreed to investigate the reasoning behind this decision. Clerk suggested that there had been some confusion between Crich Luncheon Club and Crich and Neighbourhood Community Care Scheme which are, actually, the same organisation.

08/191 Police matters

PC Walker and PCSO Slater in attendance. The following matters were reported to them: Mrs. Wellby said that items had been stolen from the church. The police are investigating and have some solid leads.

Cllr. Bateman again raised his concerns about speeding on Bullbridge Hill, Bowns Hill, The Common and across the Market Place. He asked for a more visible police presence and for the deployment of mobile speed cameras. PC Walker reported that no incidents of speeding had been brought to police attention since the last meeting.

Cllr. Bateman congratulated PC Walker on her appearance in the Derbyshire Life and Countryside feature on Crich. The Council felt that this could only be good for the image of the village. PCSO Slater was congratulated on his efforts in cycling up the hill from South Wingfield into the teeth of a head wind!

08/192 Local Authority Councillors

Cty. Cllr. Jackson reported as follows:

Plans for a pavement between the Tramway Museum and The Stand are still ongoing as is the consideration of a speed limit between Wakebridge and Crich.

The pipe on Potters� Hill is to be relocated in order to reduce surface water on the road. Mrs. Williams�s house on Lindway Lane is still drying out.

DCC consider their repairs to School Lane to be reasonable. This is a complex matter as ownership is not clear (some of it is private property). Cty. Cllr. Jackson and Cllr. Bateman both affirmed that children sometimes have to paddle through 3 inches of water to get into school. Cty. Cllr. Jackson will ask for a site meeting.

DCC/Police are to run a pilot scheme in which speed cameras are given to trained members of the public in order to monitor particular locations.

Cllr. Steppings expressed his concern at speed on unrestricted country lanes. Potters� Lane, which is a short cut, is a particular problem in this respect. Cty. Cllr. Jackson agreed as he has first hand experience as a regular user of that route.

AVBC Cllr. Thorpe reported in writing that she is: (a) working with the Post Office to secure the placing of a new postbox in The Green area at Fritchley in a position which is acceptable to the Council and (b) that she is working with Environmental Services to clear litter in the area.

08/193 Minutes of the meeting of 4th February 2008

The minutes were approved and signed by the Chair .

08/194 Matters arising from the Minutes

Chair reminded the meeting of the importance of adhering to the Code of Conduct with particular reference to declaring an interest when appropriate. Chair will lead a session on Code of Conduct at a meeting in the near future. She is also working to devise a protocol to guide the workings of Crich Parish Council meetings.

Clerk has ordered copies of The Good Councillors Guide for all members.

The damaged wall at the Jubilee Site has not yet been repaired.

Clerk has applied for Section 106 money to pay for the RG fence and is awaiting a decision from AVBC.

Contact has been made with DCC regarding concerns over the invasion of green lanes and bridleways by 4x4 vehicles and motorcycles.

Letters from Mr. and Mrs. Robson regarding the Sims Charity and from Mr. Critchlow regarding his relationship with allotment holders (his property is adjacent) have been acknowledged.

AVBC has been asked to re-fill grit bins and has been informed of the dog fouling problem in The Tors area.

Clerk reported that commercial vehicles can be parked in residential areas provided that they do not cause an obstruction. If they exceed 7.5 tonnes they must be lit at night.

The alleged nuisance caused by users of The Briars provoked a long debate. It would appear that Father Wheat and his superiors at diocesan level do not appear to acknowledge that nuisance is occasionally caused by late night noise to those living nearby. There appears to be a breakdown of communication and meetings in the past have had no follow-up and no action. There was some discussion of a code of conduct which had been drawn up between The Briars and its neighbours but this document seems elusive and impotent. Cllr. Bateman felt that this matter was probably not one for the Parish Council. (This view did not receive unanimous support as it was felt that it can be appropriate for the Council to represent the interests of a particular group of parishioners.) He urged that the matter be resolved between the management of The Briars and the neighbours in a diplomatic fashion. At the suggestion of Cllr. Steppings, Cllr. Bateman agreed to use his good offices to broker an agreement between the parties involved.

08/195 Declarations of Interest

Cllr. Smith declared an interest in planning application AVA/2008/0228

Cllr. Bateman declared an interest in matters related to the condition of School Lane.

08/196 Clerk�s report

Letters of thanks for donations received from:

Fritchley Christmas Tree Committee

Crich Evergreen Club

Whatstandwell Social Club

Fritchley OAP Association

Crich Luncheon Club

Crich Rangers U13s

Allotments:

Chair is now studying a draft of the lease provided by Mr. Briddon�s solicitor�s. Parish Council approved the Code of Conduct for allotment holders which will be distributed to all tenants and to which they will be expected to sign up. Council agreed the following: a) To contribute to the cost and maintenance of the access road. b) To pay for monthly strimming of the boundary during the growing season. 3 c) The tidying of any un-let plots. d) To make up any shortfall in rent as a result of any plots being unoccupied. (The rent payable by the Council this year will be �7 per plot, there being 30 plots, the total being �210.)

The Council will consider the level of rent to be paid by tenants in the next financial year. This must reflect costs.

Mr. Bostock�s suggestions for Parish projects were acknowledged and will be considered by the Finance Committee.

Parish Council is supporting the request from the Royal Mail for permission to locate a new post box on The Green at Fritchley. The exact position will depend on the location of underground services. Preferred location is by the telephone box not on The Green itself.

Parish Council have considered upgrading IT facilities in the parish office and for the Parish Clerk with particular reference to speeding up distribution of documents relating to planning applications. Cllr. Steppings, Mr. David Lane and Mr. Andy Bostock all offered help in identifying the most appropriate hardware for this purpose.

Chair and Clerk agreed to deal with a complaint by Mrs. Hartshorne regarding a letter that had been sent to AVBC regarding planning application AVBC/2005/1455.

Mrs. Kitchen of 2 Holly Bank Court presented with 2 estimates for work on a tree on the recreation ground that overhangs her property. Council regarded the proposed costs as acceptable. Clerk is to pursue this.

Clerk thanked Mr. Bostock for the disc containing documents related to the Coddington Farm application issues. Cllr. Bateman was worried that this disc contained photographs and queried whether there had been any police involvement in this matter. He was assured by Mr. Bostock that there are no legal issues with the photographs and there had been no police involvement.

08/197 Planning decisions

08/198 Planning applications

Parish Council agreed to petition AVBC to appeal to the High Court regarding the barn at Coddington Farm (APP/M1005/C/07/2057083). Parish Council expressed its concern that a dangerous precedent would be set up if residents are allowed to carry out building works without permission with the intention of getting that permission retrospectively. (This is of particular concern where the demolition of old buildings is concerned.)

AVA/2008/0199 � two-storey rear extension and alteration to garage roof at Lower Rosskeen, Surgery Lane, Crich. NO OBJECTIONS.

AVA/2008/0205 � rear single-storey extension at 5 Top Hagg Lane, Fritchley. NO OBJECTIONS.

AVA/2008/0228 � terrace of three new dwellings with two double garages at Market House, Market Place, Crich. OBJECTION. The building is tall and would be overbearing, having a negative impact on the visual aspect of The Market Place Conservation Area. There would also be access difficulties and an increase in traffic. http://opengov.ambervalley.gov.uk/dailylist/dailyapplist.aspx

08/198 Accounts

Balances at February 8, 2008

Yorkshire Bank current A/C �30 069.29

Yorkshire Bank Jubilee A/C �946.30

Yorkshire Bank Charity A/C �123.43

Income:

YB current A/C interest �66.79

YB Jubilee A/C interest �0.08

Alfreton and Dis. FS �120.00

Hoults Mems �160.00.

Archway FS �150.00

Midlands CS FS �20.00

Eon (rent) �55.00

J. Beresford �20.00

Hoults Mems. �120.00

Payments:

� Chq. No.

CH Ludlam Clerk �397.68 + expenses �14.26 411.94 220

M MacArthur Caretaker BG + RG 126.76 221

Glebe Field Trust 525.00 222

Belper Skip Hire 94.00 223

DCC licence to use Fritchley Primary School playing field 120.00 224

Kinetic (computer repairs) 29.38 225

08/199 Circulars and publications

Mid-Derbyshire Citizens� Advice Press Release

Enjoy England

St. George�s Day Celebrations

Victim Support in Derbyshire

Judy Mallaber MP � surgery time publicity

08/200 Communications from parishioners

A letter from Mr. John Gregory of Brookfield Lodge, Hindersitch Lane, Whatstandwell, regarding parking and access problems at the parish allotments and the consequent nuisance to residents, such as himself, was considered at the meeting. Mr. Gregory was present to hear the debate. Parish Council acknowledges that use of the allotments should be consistent with the best interests of all concerned and will work to ensure that this is made possible.

A letter was received from Mrs. Diane Fretwell of Townend regarding dog fouling on the fields between Coast Hill and Townend. An initial problem is caused by dog owners who collect dog droppings but then leave the bags at the top end of the field by the gate. This matter will be reported to the Dog Warden.

Mrs. Welby asked if water containers at the burial ground could be stored in such a way that they do not blow around in the wind

5 08/201 Information from Councillors

Cllr. Bateman: Apart from the light, the bus shelter on The Market Place has been repaired, but the litter bin on Bulling Lane has not been replaced. (This is the one Amber Valley claimed they could not be justified in replacing.)

Cllr. Smith: Reported that the surface of Jeffries Lane has been repaired badly and that the subcontractors were not wearing ear defenders and other safety equipment.

Cllr. Harrison: Pleased that the hand rail on the steps between Surgery Lane and The Common had been replaced.

Cllr. Harwood: Reported that the sign on The Common is damaged and that the hedge on The Common which had previously been reported as overhanging the pavement is still causing problems. Clerk will not make this a matter for DCC.

Chair thanked everyone for their attendance and the meeting closed at 9.45 pm.

NEXT MEETING MONDAY 7th April 2008

Clive Ludlam Parish Clerk 9th. March 2008