skip to content

home about CACN about crich parish council search

crich area community news

Crich village cross
Image from around Crich Parish

Minutes of the meeting of Crich Parish Council

Monday 4th August 2008, held in the Glebe Field Centre.

Download minutes as a pdf document

Link to adobe site to download free pdf file reader

Present: Cllr Lane (Chair), Cllrs. Brierton (vice-chair), Bateman, Birkin, Clark, Fudge, Harrison, Harwood, �Steppings,� Thorpe, Tromans and� 8� members of the public. Clerk in attendance.
Apologies: �AVBC Cllr. Taylor and Cty. Cllr. Jackson (arrived later having attended another meeting)

Proposed new Health Centre on land behind the Glebe

Parish Council invited Des. Woodward and Sarah Walker of� Southern Derbyshire LIFT to give a presentation on this new development. Drs. Smallman and Ward also attended and answered questions from Councillors. (It was noted that there will be further opportunities for public consultation in the near future).
The project, which has been under consideration for some time, is a partnership between the Primary Care Trust and the public and� private sectors.
After examining plans and drawings of the new Centre it was established that:

  • Medical staff, at all levels, have had the opportunity to participate in the planning and design.
  • There is plenty of scope for expansion within the building
  • Holloway and S. Wingfield surgeries will remain open
  • There is likely to be an expansion of the services already provided
  • Planners are acutely aware of issues of sustainability and eco-friendliness with regard to� the construction.
  • There should be a seamless transition from the old surgery to the new centre over a weekend.
  • There is space for a pharmacy should it wish to re-locate.
  • The doctors will be tenants (the partners currently own their surgery).
  • The allotment at the side of the Glebe will be re-sited.
  • There will be adequate parking
  • A play area for the pre-school playgroup will be provided
  • It is hoped that the Planning Application will be submitted in September/October 2008, building will start in Spring 2009 and the Centre will be commissioned by the end of 2009.�

08/240� Matters raised by members of the public

Mrs. Hartshorne reported the following:

  • The hedge between the church and Rock Terrace overhangs, forcing vehicles into the middle of the road.
  • Grass verges and overhead branches intrude onto Hollins Lane and Wild Lane.
  • The footpath sign on Hollins Lane, pointing through Hollins Farm yard to Potters Hill, has never been replaced.
  • The footpath sign on The Common, pointing down Fritchley Fields, has been removed.

Clerk will report these matters to DCC.
Mrs. Hartshorne also reported that� dognappers� are in the district.� Two puppies have been stolen from a local property.

08/241 Police matters

PC Walker and PCSO Slater unable to attend. Clerk referred to the fact that he had reported vandalism at the RG see below. It is believed the PCSO Slater has transferred to Belper and PCSO Donna Shaw has been transferred to Crich and district.

08/242Local Authority Councillors

Cty Cllr Jackson reported in writing that:

  • The new train timetable affecting Cromford, Whatstandwell and Ambergate is causing a great deal of concern.� DCC and the Community Rail Partnership have been trying to persuade East Midlands Trains to stop all seventeen trains at all stations (under current proposals the additional trains would not stop at Cromford, Whatstandwell or Ambergate).� He is continuing to lobby DCC over this issue.
  • Officers from Derbyshire Community Speed Watch are training volunteers in the use of hand-held speed cameras.� Initial reports from Heage indicate that it is working well.� Cty. Cllr. Jackson recommends the scheme to Crich Parish Council with particular reference to The Common and the A6 at Whatstandwell.�
  • The Quiet Lanes Committee will meet on Tuesday, 5th August.� Cllr. Tromans will represent Crich.
  • The Joint Transport Forum will meet after the holiday season.� Officers from DCC Highways, AVBC, Parish Councils and� the Police along with representatives from Aggregate Industries, the Quiet Lanes Committee and the British Motorcycle Federation will be invited.� Information to follow.
  • DCC will levy transport charges on parents who choose to send their children to schools other than their local school on the grounds of religion.� The charges will be �268 for primary school pupils and �295 for secondary school pupils when using the transport provided.� There will be a maximum charge per household and those families who qualify for free transport will not be affected.
  • DCC will erect signs to warn of horses at the entrance to Culland Farm.
  • He has requested HGV warning signs to be erected at either end of Lindway Lane.� (A number of HGVs have become stuck on this lane.)
  • Environmental Services have examined Footpath 45 at Coddington Farm and found no obstruction.
  • DCC, working with District and Borough councils, will take over responsibility for parking enforcement from 24th November, 2008.� Powers will transfer from the police subject to final, government approval.� Council will appoint a contractor to provide patrols previously done by traffic wardens.� This service should be paid for by fines and any excess will be put towards road improvement.� Charges will vary according to the nature of the offence and will be halved if paid within 14 days or increased if not paid within 28 days.� Cty. Cllr. Jackson will monitor this initiative with particular reference to the costs.�
  • He has made a formal complaint to the Highways Authority regarding the poor quality of road re-surfacing within South Wingfield and Crich.� He has supported his case with photographs.�
  • He has reported the overgrowth hanging over the narrow footpath outside Crich Carr School and asked for its early removal.�
  • Environmental Services are to check the stability of the dry stone retaining wall and embankment opposite Rose Cottage, Potters Hill (Mrs. Nutbeam).

AVBC Cllr. Thorpe reported , in writing ,that:

The Green at Fritchley looks very attractive thanks to the work of Landscape Services and to the flower baskets.

The Post box at Fritchley Green is �up and running� (many thanks to Cllr.Thorpe for all her help with this matter).
She has raised �800.00 to enable a local author to produce a book on local history including the Pentrich Revolution it will be available free and Swanwick School has already ordered copies.
A bull is causing danger on the footpath between Bobbin Mill Hill and Sawmills Cllr. Thorpe has referred the matter to DCC footpaths
Cty Cllr Jackson or P.C.Richard Howiss should be contacted if the Council wishes to undergo speed camera deployment training. Richard.Howiss.2902@derbyshire.pnn.police.uk
Cllr. Thorpe wished to point out that both she and Cllr. Gillian Taylor are Borough Councillors serving the Crich Parish Council area.� Although their work naturally overlaps, Cllr. Thorpe�s area is essentially Fritchley (along with South Wingfield) whilst Cllr. Taylor serves Crich.

08/243 �Minutes of the meeting of� 7th. July 2008

The minutes were approved and signed by the Chair

08/244 Matters arising from the Minutes

Allotment Agreement - Chair had studied these on behalf of the council and it was agreed that these should be signed by Chair and Clerk on behalf of Crich Parish Council.
Members were requested to hand in any outstanding, completed Code of Conduct forms � all have now complied.
Jubilee wall - Paul Beasley has agreed to repair this.
An� application for co-option was received on the night and will be considered at the� next meeting.
Telecom� is surprised that Market Place phone box equipment is missing � this is not a prelude to removal. They have been appraised of Councils desire to keep this facility
DCC have been asked to look at our revised proposal re. the junction of The Common and Chadwick Nick Lane
Letter has been sent to the Mercian Regiment asking for their support re. the need for a footpath between Stand Lane and Town End.
AVBC have been asked for costings to provide litter and dog bins as discussed. Cllr. Thorpe is helping with this.

08/245 Clerks Report

The post box in Fritchley is now in place.

We have a grant of �565 from DCC to spend on footpath projects in 2008-9 ideas for next meeting please!

The proposed notice for the BG sign will cost �71.38- it was agreed that this should be purchased.

Crich monitoring results from Rolls Royce give no cause for concern. Chair said that RR would arrange a visit to the site if required, Councillors asked that this be arranged.
DCC report that they are happy with traffic management arrangements around Whatstandwell School! Clerk read a letter to this effect from the Chief Traffic Technician.
Considerable damage has been done to a fence at the RG. Clerk was given permission to deploy contractors to repair this � probable cost is �450 plus materials. It was resolved that Clerk should report this matter to the Police liaison officer at AVBC (Sgt. Julia Hay ext. 2517)

Chair added that there have been 2 further break-ins at the Crich quarry site. Police have toured schools to publicise the danger of such trespass. She has also mentioned this in her contribution to the CACN.

08/246 Minutes of the meeting of the Transport Committee 28th. July 2008

Present:
Cllrs. Lane, Bateman, Fudge and Harrison

Election of Chair

Cllr. Harrison was elected as Chair.

Matters discussed

1.� Crich Market Place bus stops.

It was agreed that a reminder should be sent to DCC about our request for lines to be painted on the road by the bus stop (the one with the shelter) to discourage parking. It was also agreed that a similar request should be made for the other bus stop.

2. Speeding and heavy lorries through Whatstandwell

Agreed to ask Police if some local people could be trained to use hand-held speed guns (please see agenda for August meeting) Police to be asked if warning signs are to be provided.

3.Access for emergency vehicles.

Problems exist in various places �e.g. New Road, Church St. and Fritchley Lane. DCC to be reminded of their promise to paint white lines at the latter.

4. Joint Parishes Transport Forum

Cllr. Fudge to ask Cty. Cllr. Jackson if this is still active.

5. Quiet Lanes/Speed Limits on narrow lanes.

To be referred to 4. above if this is still operating. It was recognised that �Quiet Lane� status can have some disadvantages.

6. State of Highways in the Parish

In view of recent work, it is time to up-date our list of roads/pavements needing attention. Clerk�s letter of 13.02.07 to DCC to be copied for all members to contribute to the identification of places needing repair. Committee can then prioritise.

7. Traffic Control at Bullbridge

Recognised that if development goes ahead on the former Stevensons site traffic problems at the A610/Bullbridge junction would get much worse. Representations have already been made to the developers about this similar ones will be made to AVBC at the Planning Application stage.

8.Public Transport

a. Buses � It was thought that there is no service to Cromford and Matlock on Sundays and no late night buses from Ripley on Saturdays. Cllr. Fudge will obtain bus timetables in order to check the situation.

b. Trains � It is believed that trains will no longer stop at Whatstandwell (from October). Clerk has already made some representations on behalf of parishioners. Parish Council should add its voice to any protest about this. Cllr. Harrison will find out more and research timetables.

9. Street name plates in Crich

Cllr. Bateman gave details of the name plates he had requested from AVBC.
The committee agreed to recommend to full council that the requests for the following be supported:-

�The Common� on the Bakery building. At present there is no plate until one gets near The Briars.

�Bowns Hill� opposite Archway House (by the Information obelisk where Bowns Hill starts.)

�Coast Hill� near the junction with� Jefferies Lane

AVBC to be reminded that they put the �Wheatsheaf Lane� plate on the wrong side of the road and promised to relocate it.

�Wheatsheaf Lane� at the junction with Cromford Road would have to go on a Grade 11 listed building and be of special design. It is understood that the house owner has no objection.

n.b. AVBC to meet the cost of all name plates.

The following were not to be recommended to the Parish Council:-

�Market Place� on the cottage on the opposite side of School Lane from Archway House

Free standing sign for �Coast Hill� near Market Place.

Free standing sign for �Market Place� near Coast Hill

�Stones Lane�

�School Lane� � the section past the Comrades Club.

The following were suggested for the committee�s next agenda

1. Making the top part of Jefferies Lane one-way (Cross to Jovial Dutchman car park).

2. Possibility of co-operating with the brewery to make a car park on land above the Black Swan for use of the public house and the community.

Meeting closed at 9.50p.m.

Cllr. Harrison explained the background to the proposals made by the Transport committee. These were broadly accepted but it was agreed to give other members time to study the need for name plates and to research those roads which are in need of repair.

08/247 Planning decisions

AVA/2008/0812 First Aid facility at Tramway Museum � GRANTED
AVA/2008/0833 new dwellings at Market House - GRANTED
AVA/2008/ 0683 poly-tunnel at Butts Cottage, Wakebridge �REFUSED
AVA/2008/0660 conversion of farm buildings at Barn Close Farm Fritchley - REFUSED
AVA/2008/0658 2 two storey extension at Lower Rosskeen, Surgery Lane - GRANTED
AVA/2008/0685 conversion of garage to residential at land adj. To 9 Surgery Lane - REFUSED
AVA/2008/0684 two storey ext. and parking spaces at Penfold House Cromford Rd.- GRANTED

08/248 Planning applications

AVA/2008/0906 (re-sub.) 23 The Common � 3 new houses
AVA/2008/0902 18 Bowns Hill � side ext.
AVA/2008/0898� Barn Close Farm Fritchley � barn conversion
AVA/2008/0845� Moon Cottage, Thurlow Booth � internal alterations and re-roofing (Listed building)
AVA/2008/0816 Orchard Cottage, Allen lane Fritchley -� 1st floor ext. and entrance lobby to rear.
TRE/2008/0305 Merryn Cottage Chapel St. Fritchley � fell 2 trees of Leylandii type to allow more light into neighbouring property

08/249 Accounts


Yorkshire Bank current A/C �������������������������������������������������� ������������������������������������36589.79
Yorkshire Bank Jubilee A/C �������������������������������������� �����������������������������������������������������946.70
Yorkshire Bank Charity A/C��������������������������������������������������� ����������� ����������������������������123.43��������������������������������������������������������������

Income���


Yorkshire Bank current A/C interest��������������������������������������������������������������� ������������������������� 61.64
Yorkshire Bank Jubilee A/C interest �������������������������������������������������������������� ����������������������������0.08
Hoults and E Cope (BG)��������������������������������������������������������������������������������� ����������������������� 300.00

Expenses

���������������� ������� Chq. No.

C.H.Ludlam (Clerk) salary (�410.41) + expenses (�11.34)�������������������������� �����421.75��������������������� 266������ �����������������������������������������������������������������������������������
M.MacArther (BG and RG caretaking) + 7 hours o/t �������������� ���������������������166.10���������������������� 267����������������������������������������������������������������
Glebe Trust (August 2008) incl. �84.00 backdated increase to April�������� ���������630.00��������������������� 268
BT Phone and Broadband������������������������������������������������������������������� �������� ��61.12��������������� 269
Tax and NI first quarter (paid to Post Office)������������������������� �������������������� �260.45�������������� 270�
Viking Direct (Coloured ink)�������������������������������������� ������������������������������������ 24.52������������� 271
Viking Direct (Black ink)�������������������������������������������� ���������������������������������� �100.48������������ 272
Viking Direct (Stamps)����������������������������������������������� ����������������������������������� ���������������38.74����������������������� 273
Belper Skip Hire (Derwent Waste)������������������������������ ����������������������������������� ���94.00 ���������������������� �274
CACN (Contribution for entry on their website)��������� ��������������������������������� ����������������120.00���������������������� 275������������������������������������������������������������������������

08/250 Circulars and publications

Alastair Morley, the Transport Partnership Officer, is sorry to report the death of Jeremy Clegg who, for many years, has contributed to the development of Peak Rail.
Zurich Insurance Flood Guide

The Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007 � key provisions explained
Derbyshire Community Payback Brochure
What�s on in Amber Valley, August 2008 (online)
DCC has produced a Conservation and Ecological Management Plan for Cromford Canal between Cromford Wharf and Ambergate. This has been consented by English Nature.� The plans can be visited on the DCC website.� They have also provided a CD which is available for members to borrow.

08/251 Communications from parishioners�

Clerk has responded to various letters from the allotment superintendants regarding a variety of day to day allotment issues.
Letter from Ms.Bailey and Ms. Crofts referring to Coddington Top Farm planning issues was received too late to be considered at this meeting and will be dealt with at the next meeting on 1st. September.

08/252 Information from Councillors

Cllr. Tromans reported that she has obtained road planings to improve the surface of the track by the chapel at Wheatcroft.�

Cllr. Bateman reported an overhanging hedge at Coast Hill but this, being an un-adopted road, is outside the jurisdiction of DCC or the Parish Council and would best be solved by neighbourly cooperation.� He also presented two cuttings from local newspapers reporting the availability of grants to local councils.

Cllr. Clark reported a tree growing out of a retaining wall at Dimple Head and an ash tree growing out of the wall at the Cliff Inn allotments.� He is concerned that these are affecting the stability of the wall and the matter will be referred to DCC.�

Cllr. Harwood reported that land at Cromford Road which should be kept tidy by the developers is being allowed to become overgrown.� She also raised the issue of flourishing growth of ragwort throughout the district.� DCC does not have a general policy to eradicate ragwort except where its growth on public land could affect horses.� It is mainly an issue for the landowner but this does not mean that cases for concern should not be referred to DCC.

Chair thanked everyone for their attendance and the meeting closed at 10.10 pm

NEXT MEETING 7.30 pm �MONDAY� 1st. September 2008

Clive Ludlam Parish Clerk
20th August 2008