skip to content

home about CACN about crich parish council search

crich area community news

Crich village cross
Image from around Crich Parish

Minutes of the meeting of Crich Parish Council

Monday 6th October 2008, held in the Glebe Field Centre.

Download minutes as a pdf document

Link to adobe site to download free pdf file reader

Cllr Lane (Chair), Cllrs. Brierton (vice-chair), Bown, Clark, Harrison, Harwood, Steppings and 6 members of the public. Clerk in attendance

Apologies:

Cllrs. Bateman, Birkin, Fudge , Thorpe and Tromans and AVBC Cllr. Taylor

08/266 Matters raised by members of the public

In reply to a question from a member of the public it was stated that no Planning Application for the old Stevensons site has yet been made.
Mrs Hartshorne reported that the hedges beside the junction of Hollins Lane and Wild Lane need to be cut back in the interest of road safety.
Sam Schumann (Neighbourhood Officer for Amber Valley Housing Ltd) explained her role and her willingness to answer questions and help with problems. She also informed members of the introduction of �walk-about Wednesday�, the first one is planned for November (date to be announced). The plan is for AVH Ltd. Representatives, Police, Councillors and residents to walk in the Parish in order to identify problems and needs, which will be reported to the appropriate bodies for action.

08/267 Declarations of interest

None

08/268 Police matters

PC 2078 Peter Wilbourne introduced himself as the new Alfreton Rural Section Officer, he will work with PCSO Donna Shaw on the Safer Neighbourhood Team.
Chair thanked the Police for visiting the RG where they found under - age drinkers. PCSO Shaw has spoken to shopkeepers about the law relating to the sale of alcohol to under-18s.
PC Wilbourne explained that designation of �Alcohol free zones� is not necessary to deal with under-age drinkers as they are already breaking the law. Further, in answer to a question from Cllr. Clark, PC Wilbourne said that he hoped that police would visit the Parish every few days.
Cllr. Steppings raised the issue of speeding on rural roads (a limit of 60 mph seems to be inappropriate).

08/269 Local Authority Councillors

Cty Cllr Jackson.
He is involved with the case of the damaged wall at Park Lodge, Bullbridge Hill, Fritchley (at the request of AVBC Cllr. Thorpe) and with alleged illegal excavations of the pavement at the junction of Cromford Road and Dowie Way.
Please see attached report.
AVBC Cllr. Thorpe � please see attached report

08/270 Minutes of the meeting of 1st September 2008

The minutes were approved and signed by the Chair

08/271 Matters arising from the Minutes

A letter has been sent to Detective Chief Inspector Terry Branson, as agreed. A reply has been received from Divisional Commander Michael Usherwood.
A letter has been sent to Inspector Brown regretting the lack of police presence at recent meetings. In reply Insp. Richard Smith sent an e-mail stating that he will remedy this situation and is keen to attend himself when his duties allow. He also explained that he is very keen to promote good relations between the Council and the Police.
Notice for the play area on the Recreation Ground � it is understood that AVBC is considering posting notices banning smoking, glass and alcohol. Clerk will investigate.
DCC have acknowledged receipt of letter concerning drainage issues at Dimple Lane and Market Place, Reference Number 571131, and of a letter regarding traffic management at the junction of The Common and Chadwick Nick Lane.
The house at The Beeches with 9 cats is not an Amber Valley Housing property.
Sgt. Julie Hay (Police Liaison Officer at AVBC) has been contacted regarding �Alcohol-Free Zones�. There is an application process, Clerk is awaiting the forms.
Report of visit to Hilts Quarry with Rolls Royce -5 members attended and were guided by senior officers from the company. Councillors were impressed by the landscaping and noted that the area was effectively a nature reserve. The methane which has caused some concern originates from the old Belper RDC tip nearby and is a common product of �normal rubbish tips�.
Street name plates-Councillors will walk the area to view the locations.
Quiet lanes and Greenways. Chair had attended 2 meetings one at County Hall, Chaired by Cty. Cllr. Jackson concerning �Quiet Lanes� ( Cllr. Tromans also attended this meeting) and one organised by South Wingfield Parish Council about �Greenways� DCC is not keen on the �Quiet Lanes� concept and has only one despite the fact that it is enshrined in the 2001 Transport Act- the idea is to allow lanes to become overgrown and maybe have traffic calming measures in order to deter fast traffic. Greenways have wide verges for the use of walkers and horse riders and are a less expensive alternative. Crich PC will keep abreast of developments on both fronts..
Maintenance of footpaths. Parish Council is keen to identify footpaths which would benefit from clearing and re- surfacing. There is need for improvement of the path which runs through the allotment ground and the one below the Burial Ground which is very boggy. Clerk will investigate how these tasks can be achieved.
A date for a meeting of Transport Committee will be set by Cllr. Harrison (Chair of Transport Cttee.) who will contact members � agenda items include listing roads in need of repair and the problems caused by parking on the Market Place. Cllr. Harrison will take up the offer of a site meeting at the Market Place with David Orton of DCC Highways.

08/272 Clerk�s Report

More than 75% of allotment tenants have paid their rent and signed the Tenants� Agreement.
There has been contact with Sergeant Julie Hay re vandalism problems at Crich. AVBC Cllr. Taylor is liaising with AVBC on this matter.
E- mail from Ken Briddon re developments at the allotment - Parish Council agreed to improve the access drive and the footpath.
The protective fence at the Recreation Ground has been installed and the final invoice forwarded to the AVBC for payment from
Section 106 funds.
The next meeting of Crich Quarry Liaison Committee will take place on Tuesday 7th. October 2008. Cllr. Brierton will attend.
Letter received from Inspector Gary Brown referring to our �Safer Neighbourhood Team� which is PCSO Donna Shaw and PC Pete Wilbourne. Police data shows few reports of crime in the Crich Area, if we are to have any chance of creating �Alcohol Free Zones� incidents must be reported to the police � an informal comment to a Parish Councillor or a remark at a council
meeting is of no use!
After a lengthy discussion it was unanimously decided that the Council did not consider that retaining the Market Place telephone box in working order or as a non functional piece of nostalgia would be a sensible use of Council Tax payer�s money. Telecom will now presumably remove the box as per their proposal.
Clerk has distributed application forms to former recipients of Parish Grants/Donations. He has also publicised the availability of these on Parish notice boards and on the website.
Ground works are needed at the allotments including maintenance of the public footpath and the access road. Clerk will cost these.
Mr. Mike MacArther has resigned from his post as Caretaker at the Burial Ground and Recreation Ground. Clerk has written thanking him for his services.
Rents for Parish land are now paid up to date but should be reviewed at the next Finance Committee meeting.
A letter has been received from Father Joe Wheat regarding the resurrection of the local area meetings between The Briars and local councillors. Council welcomed any moves to promote good relationships between The Briars and other residents

08/273 Planning decisions

N.B.: Planning consent is required for the felling or pruning of trees in the Conservation Area. Further, some mature trees are subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) � list available from AVBC

TRE/2008/0320 Sunnyside Cottage, Kirkham Lane, Fritchley � dismantle pear tree - PERMITTED.
TRE/2008/0321 Sunnyside Cottage, Kirkham Lane, Fritchley � pollard 1 pear tree, dismantle 1 pear tree, crown reduction of 1pear tree � PERMITTED.
TRE/2008/0316 5 Church Street, Fritchley � remove 2 deciduous trees and 1 apple tree, prune and reduce 1 silver birch and 1mountain ash � PERMITTED.
AVA/2008/0906 23 The Common, Crich � 3 new houses (re-submission) � PERMITTED.
AVA/2008/0845: Moon Cottage, Thurlow Booth, Whatstandwell � listed building consent, re-roofing and internal alterations �
PERMITTED.

08/274 Planning applications

AVA/2005/0471: Erection of 23 new dwellings at Woodside Farm, The Common, Crich � to be considered at the Planning Board on Monday 6th October � in an email to AVBC the Parish Council has stated that it has always opposed the proposed development and that it would prefer light industry to housing. Council also contends that residents have never been properly consulted and that a site visit by AVBC Planning Committee is essential.
AVA/2008/1097: 4 Fairview Rise, Crich � single storey extension and conservatory No objections
TRE/2008/0342: 4 Amber View Road, Fritchley � fell and remove 2 cherry trees No objections
AVA/20081085: 6 The Common, Crich - replace existing gates No objections
AVA/2008/1084: 17 Hindersitch Lane, Whatstandwell � garage extension No objections
AVA/2008/1046: Coddington Hall Farm � proposed alterations, extensions and refurbishment of an existing dwelling. Council commented on the lack of information available.
AVA/2008/1039: 43 The Common, Crich � first-floor bedroom extension. No objections
AVA/2008/1030: Land adjacent to �Greenacres�, Chadwick Nick Lane, Fritchley � retrospective application to make a minor
Extension to external decking and to enlarge a window (re-submission). No objections
AVA/2008/1029: 20 Dowie Way, Crich � new dwelling from conversion and extension of existing stables (re-submission). No objections
TRE/2008/0330: Glebe Field Trust, The Old Vicarage, Coast Hill Crich � reduction of sycamore and beech tree No objections

08/275 Finance Committee

Cllr. Clark (Chair of Finance Committee) presented a report of the last meeting (see attached) and thanked the Clerk for presenting the up to date statement of accounts.

08/276 Accounts

Bank Accounts

Yorkshire Bank current A/C at 10.09.08 � 28847.67
(This does not include the �17,000 second instalment of the precept
which has now been received.)
Yorkshire Bank Jubilee A/C � 946.86
Yorkshire Bank Charity A/C � 128.78

Income
Yorkshire Bank current A/C interest � 52.87
Yorkshire Bank Jubilee A/C interest � 0.08
Archway FS (BG fees) � 320.00
VAT refund �840.71
Precept 2nd half year payment �17000.00

Expenses

C.H.Ludlam (Clerk) salary (�410.41) + expenses (�1.45) � 411.86 No. 286
M.MacArther (BG and RG caretaking) +8 hours o/t �171.72 No. 287
Glebe Trust (September 2008) � 546.00 No. 288
Grass Track (August maintenance) �364.84 No. 289
Grass Track (strimming and spraying) � 164.50 No. 290
Viking Direct (Stamps and paper) �55.89 No. 291
Viking Direct (Inks) � 39.29 No. 292
TT Plant Services � repair to RG fence �528.75 No. 293
BT phone and Broadband �109.39 No. 294

08/278 Circulars and publications

Minutes of Crich Quarry Liaison Committee- Cllr. Steppings asked that the speed of lorries be raised at the next meeting.
Town and Parish Standard
Communities and Local Government �Communities in Control� a consultation document.
Derwent Valley Mills Partnership Minutes of September meeting
Request for donation from the Sherwood Foresters� Western Front Memorial Committee. Council agreed to donate �100 to the fund.

08/279 Communications from parishioners

Mr. Hutchins of Holly Bank Court thanked the Council for erecting the protective fence at the Recreation Ground.
A letter from Mr Bostock was received too late for consideration at this meeting.

08/280 Information from Councillors

Chair had attended the AGM of DALC (Derbyshire Association of Local Councils) on behalf of the Parish Council. She recommended that members take advantage of the training courses offered for Parish Councillors.
Cllr. Bateman had earlier informed the Clerk that he had spoken to some local teenagers who would like to attend a Parish Council meeting. It was agreed to take up Cllr. Bateman�s offer to set this up. He also reported that the public toilets on The Market Place are dirty and seem to be locked at times. Clerk will raise this matter with AVBC
Cllr. Bown reported that the gates on the sub-station at Bullbridge Hill were missing. This will be reported to Central Networks.
Cllr. Steppings asked that AVBC should be informed of the Parish Councils� belief that planning constraints placed on The Briars, with respect to the use of the car park should be enforced. Clerk will write to AVBC Borough Development.

Chair thanked everyone for their attendance and the meeting closed at 9.50 pm.

NEXT MEETING 7.30 pm MONDAY 3rd November 2008

Clive Ludlam Parish Clerk
7th October 2008