skip to content

home about CACN about crich parish council search

crich area community news

Crich village cross

A walk up Hindersitch Lane, Whatstandwell

 

Walking up Hindersitch Lane beside Crich Carr School towards Coddington you will pass three sites of interest.

 

Ruins of Crich Carr chapel

 

the derelict Primitive Methodist Chapel in WhatstandwellThis derelict Primitive Methodist Chapel is on the left opposite Middle Lane. It was built about 1845 and held about 100 worshippers. A Sabbath School was taught here. In 1884 it was decided to build a larger chapel to cater for the larger congregations. Subsequently a replacement was built on Top Lane.

 

 

 

The Hurt sisters’ private school

 

private school owned by the MIsses Hurt of Chase CliffeOn the right, just before the road leading to Glen Road, is Allerton House. This used to be a private school owned by the Misses Hurt of Chase Cliffe.
It was referred to in a newspaper report of 1883. In 1884 it was recorded as being well attended (about 70 pupils) conducted by Miss Griffiths. At the time this compared favourably with the five scholars attending the new Crich Carr C of E School.

 

 

 

Hair restoring, flowers and balloons

 

Renuklor hair restorer created in WhatstandwellA little further along on the left side, where there are some private houses, was once a small market garden enterprise. After WW1 Frederick Godfrey was the owner and he had greenhouses there. Also, he created a world famous hair-restorer and hair colourant solution which made him renowned. His adverts stretched from New Zealand to America.

During WW2 the site buildings were used to make barrage balloons. Local ladies who were employed there found the off-cut silk material most useful. Nothing remains of the original buildings.

 

Mark Haslam